Why do we need nutritional supplements like vitamins and minerals if we eat well? Many have asked me why, if they eat a well balanced healthful diet I still recommend dietary supplementation.
There are many reasons for this. The major ones are the following:
The soil our food is grown in is very depleted of minerals and other nutrients. This was not the case for our hunter gatherer ancestors or even our ancestors of the 50 to 100 years ago. Large scale industrial agricultural has left the soil much less nutrient rich. The animals we now eat are generally farm raised and grain fed and this grain comes from the same lower nutrient soil.
Additionally we need increased nutrient levels compared to pre-industrial humans because we are living in a much more toxic environment. Our cells, especially our liver cells need to remove or neutralize large quantities of airborne or ingested chemicals, like pesticides, plastics, mercury, arsenic, hydrocarbon fuel exhaust and 100s of thousands more. This requires our bodies detoxification systems to work very hard. Detoxification is done by enzymes in all our cells and these enzymes require help from vitamins, minerals and other nutrient factors that can be taken as nutritional supplements.
Supplements I recommend for everyone:
- Multivitamin/mineral- a high quality brand
- Omega 3 fish oil –pharmaceutical grade
- Vitamin D3- 2000 iu minimum
For all post menopausal women:
- Calcium and Magnesium
For most people add: specific ones based on their needs
- Vitamin C
- lipoic acid (or another good antioxidant)
Supplements to consider for special circumstances; symptoms or prevention
- Brain: Acetyl carnitine, ginko biloba, curcumin, phosphatidyl serine,DHA, huperizine
- Heart: omega 3, coenzyme Q 10, arginine, red yeast rice, resveratrol or grape seed and skin extract, B 12 , folate , vitamin D, vitamin K
- Intestinal; probiotics acidophilus and bifido, digestive enzymes, bile salts, glutamine and DGL, grapefruit seed extract, caprylic acid
- Bones: calcium, magnesium, trace minerals, strontium, vitamin D, vitamin K
- Pain, joints, fibro, head: magnesium, vitamin D, glucosamine, MSM, curcumin, bromelain, enzymes
- Fatigue: iron, B 12, antioxidants, tyrosine, iodine,
- Hair: PABA, biotin, horsetail
- Sexuality: boron, maca, chrysin